Rain, rain, go away. Come back another day!
This short song is sung by some who want to be outside playing. For people in other places in the world, rain is to be celebrated and collected. Rain is actually moisture that collects or condenses on particles and bumps into other drops forming ice crystals or drops. Water drops are held up by air until they condense or collect. Drizzle is water drops and drizzle does not make a splash when it hits a puddle. Rain drops are larger water drops that become too heavy to be held up any longer and fall with with a splash! Clouds can hold millions of water drops. As raindrops fall from clouds, they join with other drops. Rain
Activity 1 – healthy rains vs. acid rain
Make a diagram of the water cycle with one half of the diagram showing healthy rain nourishing plants, refilling underground aquifers, and using natural vegetation, wetlands, and rocks, sand, and soil to filter ground water. On the other half of the poster, draw a water cycle with precipitation that encounters volcanic explosions, factories, fossil fuel burning power stations, cars and trucks and large machinery in quarries, etc. Draw and note the consequences of acid rain on the water quality.
Activity 2 – mindmap acid rain
Now that you now the physical sources of acid rain, dig deeper into the actual substances that cause healthy rain to become acidic. Think carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, (CFCs) Chlorofluorocarbons, Lead, Sulfur Dioxide, and other hazardous air pollutants and articulate matter(PM).
Activity 3 – measuring acid rain
Healthy rain is clean rain that has not encountered chemicals and pollutants in its fall from the sky to the ground. It brings water that can be collected and used. It has a neutral pH level below
Activity 4 – rain activism
Make a series of word posters with a team of your friends asking the government to protect the future of our earth, air and water.
- BBC Bitesize Science Acid Rain
- ESSEA Water Vapor Feedback or Forcing?
- KidsGeo RAIN
- Liquid Sculpture Martin Waugh
- Video 11:17 Acid-Base Reactions in Solution: Crash Course Chemistry #8 CrashCourse 1.8M views 5:06 [OFFICIAL VIDEO] Hallelujah - Pentatonix PTXofficial Recommended for you 6:20 Introduction to buffers | Water, acids, and bases | Biology | Khan Academy Khan Academy 359K views 21:20 The surprising science of happiness | Dan Gilbert TED 2.3M views 9:04 Electrochemistry: Crash Course Chemistry #36 CrashCourse 1.1M views 43:57 William Ackman: Everything You Need to Know About Finance and Investing in Under an Hour Big Think Recommended for you 7:21 10 AMAZING SCIENCE EXPERIMENTS! Mr. Duck 2.9M views Buffers MIT OpenCourseWare 87K views BREAK!NG NEWS MORNING 6/26/18 | TRUMP IMMIGRATION MOVES SPARK DEBATE ON CIVILITY TVT 1 Network 1.3K views New Polar & Non-Polar Molecules: Crash Course Chemistry #23 CrashCourse 1.9M views Acid-Base Equilibria and Buffer Solutions Professor Dave Explains 48K views Redox Reactions: Crash Course Chemistry #10 CrashCourse 1.8M views How the Geography of the US is Weirder Than You Think RealLifeLore Recommended for you New How to triple your memory by using this trick | Ricardo Lieuw On | TEDxHaarlem TEDx Talks Recommended for you Sugar: The Bitter Truth University of California Television (UCTV) 7.6M views Buffers, the Acid Rain Slayer: Crash Course Chemistry #31
- What is Acid Rain EPA?
- Where in the World Does it Rain?