Colors are all around you -millions and millions of colors- all created by three primary colors: red, blue and yellow. Color sends messages like stop and go. Color can also portray emotions and feelings. Combinations of colors are limitless by combining colors then lightening or darkening with shade and tint. Color can bring objects together or give emphasis to a particular part of a composition. BEWARE, color is a powerful tool and should be used wisely. Be sure not to overwhelm viewers with too much and always use a color scheme.
Activity 1 – Make A Color Wheel
Create your own original color wheel. First use the resource link www.sanford-artedventures.com to print a blank color wheel. Paint in the circles the three primary colors-red, blue and yellow. Next, mix two primary colors to achieve the secondary colors and paint orange, green and purple in the squares. Then, create intermediary colors by mixing one primary with one secondary color. Fill in the triangles and work your way around the color wheel!
Activity 2 – Choreograph Color!
In this activity you will demonstrate warm, cool, complementary, analogous, and neutral color schemes on 1) a color wheel, 2) by example of a famous painting, 3) by clothing a model, and 4) by coloring a room. Define and research complementary colors, analogous colors, warm, cool, and neutral colors by using the links under resources. Make a page for each color example with each of the four parts listed.
Just like artists and designers, you are a color choreographer!
Activity 3 – Color meanings
Did you know colors have meaning? Colors can stand for power, love, peace and play! Colors can suggest sophistication, warmth, freshness and innovation. Some colors stay consistent in their meanings while others are fashionably popular this year but not the next. Colors have meaning whether they are worn, painted in a room, gifted in flowers, given as jewelry. Developing color sensibility and studying the effect of color as an accent, a ground or a surround are skills of designers when communicating and designing objects, spaces and environments. Start your color sensing. Copy this color chart in your journal and then add words for each color. Check out your choices with the psychology of color and Color Meaning, Symbolism and Psychology!
Activity 4 – Create A Mood!
Now that you are a color choreographer, draw a perspective of a room, or find a picture of a room that you like. Make sure that your drawing is a black and white line drawing with at least three values. If you choose a picture of a space, photo copy the picture so that it is black and white. If it is too dark, trace over the drawing. Now color and recolor the image three times to create a mood of intense darkness, extreme lightness, and creative playfulness. Designers choose colors to enhance experiences.
- What are the primary colors?
- Color is a powerful tool.
- How many possible color combinations are there?
- The color wheel is _____
- What is the name for a color scheme that uses color directly opposite each other on the color wheel?
- Air Apparent James Turrell
- Art Cosmic Connection Nasa pdf
- Artists' Toolkit Color
- Brain Pickings: Josef Albers on Color
- Color and Linguistics
- Color Fun
- Color Imaging
- Color Matching
- Color Matching FUN:Hue, Saturation,Complementary,Triadic,Tetradic
- Color Matters Color Theory
- Color Science Projects:San Francsico Exploratorium
- Color Theory
- Color Theory Tutorial
- Color Vision Test
- Colours in Culture
- Create Colors: Adobe Color CC
- Fireworks: The Chemistry of Color!
- Flowers&Blood:Chemical Spectacle of Color
- Guide to Understanding Color Communication PDF
- History of Color Theory
- Home Science: Make a color wheel
- Interactive Color Theory
- Interactive Color Wheel
- Jongerius Lab
- Luis Barragan, Mexican Architect
- Make a Color Wheel Online
- Metropolitan Museum Learn About Color
- Munsell Color
- NGA Diamonds Splash
- Online Color Challenge
- Painters Who Use Color
- Pantone: 50 Years Celebrate Color
- PBS: Hans Hoffman Interactive Color Study
- Peter Halley, Painter
- Phet Color&Vision Simulation
- Pinterest Color Wheel
- River Run with Colors!
- Shift by Luftwerks
- The Color Run
- Traite des Coluers-A. Boogert, 1692
- Video Color Shift Amanda Williams
- Video Frank Stella Retrospective
- Video How Do Chameleons Change Color?
- Video James Turrell The Way of Color
- Video Ray Ohtake, Brazilian Architect Hotel Unique
- Video Sesame Street: Ok GO - 3 Primary Colors
- Video The Science of the Color Match Game
- What is the meaning/symbolism/psychology of color?